Friday, July 14, 2006

An Apology.



This from the BBC cult website:"Statistics show that you're most likely to get your own story in a girls' comic if you're a sporty, disabled, artistic Victorian orphan who lives with a violent aunt or uncle, having a hurt sister/brother/pet who you need to earn money for, but don't realise that your best friend secretly resents you, the snobs are plotting against you, and an evil mastermind is attempting to take over your school and you're the only one who can resist her powers. However, this will count for nothing if your name doesn't lend itself to a clever titular pun.
Over forty-three years (Jan 1958 to Feb 2001), Bunty's The Four Marys went through several looks, lots of school hols and a change of headmistress, but the girls stayed in the Third Form throughout. "
You are right, JvS and BB, Bunty was brilliant after all. But it still wasn't as good as Misty. I can't believe I'm arguing with a pair of feminists who are defending bloody Bunty.

6 comments:

claireylove said...

I was defending Bunty as an example of liberal feminism which, though flawed in its heroines' reliance on the unseen and hidden work of the traditional role of mother and also the proletariat, championed the rights of women to take a central narrative role which did not rely on their characterisation as love objects or otherwise in sole relation to male protagonists.
How could you have known that Misty was my favourite? Although I was too young for the original publications, I relied on old annuals from jumble sales and also the reissued monthly compilation specials for my necessary fixes. It wasn't that spooky but it was a reflection of the early interest in resurrecting woman centred religion and the practice of magic..
Well. You started it.

Mick said...

Misty was edited by Pat Mills and written for by John Wagner. Both went on to found 2000AD. I am now formally withdrawing any nasty things I said against 'Bunty' (even it's name is middle class!) and I'm hoping for a trouble free remainder of my life.

Mimey said...

re: trouble free remainders. If only you hadn't misplaced your apostrophe, tssk.

Mick said...

I'm ashamed of my 'slef' now you've pointed that out.

Mimey said...

Typos are a less serious offence than incorrect grammar.

claireylove said...

What if the incorrect grammar is a typo?