Thursday, February 14, 2008

Roll on May 22nd!!


I know today is V.D. day (Valentine's day), but my letterbox was hardly overflowing with cards from sex-starved secret admirers, so I'm going to go off-tangent. Well kind of, because this is sort of about something I love, the Indiana Jones movies. I remember first seeing Raiders Of The Lost Ark at junior school, it was an end of term treat. We all packed into a classroom, sat on desks as well as the chairs, and the blinds closed out the encroaching summer, and we watched the film on one of them new fangled top-loading betamax video recorders. It blew my mind then as an eight year-old, I remember that day very fondly, and now, when I'm well into my thirties, I still love that movie, because it still entertains me as much now as it did then.


(There are things now, though, that mildly bother the thirty-three year old me after repeated viewings- Like, how does Indy know that to avoid being melted by the ghosty/angel/demon things at the end you just have to avoid looking at it? You assume he's read it somewhere, but it's not explained. And when those blokes from the government come to see Indy about a top-secret mission, Dr. Jones just happens to have a big antique book about the Ark of the Covenant under his arm? Or when they decipher the markings on the headpiece to the staff of Ra, we're told that the staff should be 72" tall, yet when Indy uses it, it's at least 18" taller than he is, which means they've bollocksed it up or Harrison Ford isn't much taller than Kenny Baker. I'm letting these things go, though. I don't want to sound too much like a net nerd!)


Anyway, I only bring this up because I saw the trailer for the fourth instalment, I'm excited, now (even though it's got Ray Winstone in it. Kinda sick of looking at his mush for some weird reason, but I'll get over it!) and it's coming out on my Birthday! I just hope George Lucas hasn't brought his 'fix it 'til it's fucked' philosophy to this franchise like he did with Star Wars . Have a butcher's yourself and see what you think:





7 comments:

cherry girl said...

Wahoo! Roll on May 22!, I'm really looking forward to taking the children to this, I don't think they have seen the other three.

Mick said...

You should make them watch the other three! They won't grow up normal if you don't!

milly said...

I just went out and bought the box set so we could go Indy mad in view of the upcoming fourth installment. Ollie has taken to them so much that he went off and cobbled together an Indiana Jones outfit and raids the entire house for treasure, not that you find much of that in the 'Ditch.....

Indiana Jones at 66? well it can't be worse than a 61 year old Rambo - 'when you're pushed, killings as easy as breathing.....'

Mick said...

Since Judge Dredd I've refused point blank to watch anything with Stallone, even the apparently quite good Copland and his now quite wide face looks wrong with the bandana and rocket launcher. Not that it was that good to start with!

I'm sure there's loads of treasure in Redditch, it's just buried very, very deeply; quite near the earth's core, probably.

It warms my black and twisted stone-cold heart that Ollie is dressing up and looking for treasure, though. It's what a childhood should be like!

jamie said...

wonder why you're sick of the sight of ray winstone,lol...
actually,i'm trying to get in touch with his agent through a friend who deals in that sort of thing about doing a promotional shoot for this comic book that's coming out soon by some southend-based writer and some brummie artist.
fingers crossed.
is 'brummie' offensive?
apologies,if so...

Mick said...

'Brummie' isn't offensive to me, I'm proud to be one! I think it's offensive if you call someone from the Black Country a 'Brummie', because they tend to dislike us suave sophisticated sex symbols from the Second City. Just call them 'Yam-yams' instead. They love that!

Getting Ray Winstone on board the Septic Isle bandwagon would be fantastic if it comes off!

jamie said...

i must mention it to andy...